In November 1996, I had my husband take me to the Emergency Room. I was experiencing shortness of breath, also, was getting very congested. I hadn't a clue to what was wrong. After one lung Xray...the ER doc sent me packing, telling me to take Ibuprofen. A week passed and I ended up at my regular MD's with laryngitis.

After taking antibiotics, in December, I went back to my MD; that time with high blood pressure and bronchitis. The end of December, I was back again; this time with a deep throat infection. I was given a lung steriod and told, if it did not get better, I was to see an ENT (ears, nose, throat) doctor. Well, I was not getting any better and, with each passing day, I was vomiting, having very loose bowels and not digesting any food.

A week later, into January of '97, I took it upon myself to consult an ENT. He looked down my nose with a tube.......and concluded I was having heartburn! I had thought the drainage was causing everything!!!!!! His reply to "What's going on?", was "Who knows?...Heartburn's, heartburn!" He, in turn, wanted me to have a sinus CAT scan??????? He did prescribe Prilosec for me. I filled the prescription, went home, and thought about it all.....and cancelled the CAT scan!!!

I went back to my regular MD after a week of Prilosec because I had wound up right back where I had started........nausea, vomiting and loose stools. He gave me instructions not to eat after 6 PM, to sleep elevated, and prescribed Axid, for nighttime use. I went back, the following week, and he prescribed Propulsid, stating if not better in a week......a Gastro doc for me!!!!!!!

Well, needless to say, I did go to the Gastro doctor ! He performed an endoscopy, and concluded that I had bleeding ulcers and GERD. He prescribed Prevacid!!!! Three days later, I felt like a new woman!!!!!!

I try to take care of my GERD by diet and sleeping elevated. Occasionally, I take Prevacid for a few days, but, for now, I am feeling great!!!!!! I might add that my anxiety level was causing me to produce way too much acid. I was convinced I was going to die of a blood clot or something major! I was feeling like, perhaps, it was all in my head. I honestly believed that's what everyone thought.

I might add that I've had three children and NEVER HAD HEARTBURN in my life, prior to this experience. After four months of pure H E double L, I just want to conclude that "what goes up, does go down", and causes major problems!!!!!! By the way, I'm only 35 and ,also, now have asthma, related to the GERD.

Barb62@aol.com   Top^